Principal Engineer, ASIC Development Engineer
Company: Western Digital Corporation
Posted on: April 8, 2021
We create environments for you to thrive. The growing diversity
of data creates an exponential amount of new possibilities - for
the world, our company and you. You'll be part of a team driving
the innovations necessary to outpace new demands and challenges
everywhere data lives, from sensors to mobile devices to the cloud.
We've only started to scratch the surface of what data can do. You
can help unlock its full potential. We are seeking highly motivated
engineers with a Bachelor's with 7+ years of experience or Master's
with 6+ years of experience to be a part of our ASIC Validation
Team. This is for a key role for a candidate that is a good
self-starter with ambitions for high growth in learning wide areas
of expertise and career advancement.-- As ASIC Validation Engineer
and member of the Global ASIC Development Team you will develop
embedded C firmware for use in testing complex hardware in System
On Chip (SOC) ASIC's that control SSD and HDD data storage devices.
As wider technical knowledge is acquired this role can advance to a
Lead position within the team. Working with state of the art
silicon technologies and prototyping platforms you contribute to
the success of industry leading data storage control ASIC's that
get deployed into high volume consumer and enterprise products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain embedded C/C++ firmware that operates and
tests the ASIC functional hardware
- Become an expert at understanding ASIC hardware architecture
and function to be able to develop firmware to validate hardware
using sophisticated state of the art emulation prototype platforms
and hardware emulation systems.
- Develop C code and system level test methodology that operate
on ASIC devices that are multi-processor and multi-core large scale
designs with custom RTL.
- Combine the use of embedded C/C++ firmware with various ASIC
Validation platforms which span from pre-silicon prototyping to
post-silicon devices: FPGA, Palladium, ASIC Validation Test Board,
and product PCBA's.
- Collaborate with worldwide teams located in Israel, India and
US to produce best in class ASIC devices for high volume SSD and
HDD data storage products
- Become an expert in widely used industry standard data storage
interfaces such as NVME over PCIE, USB, UFS, SATA, and SAS.
- Understand NAND memory and interfaces used in SSD data storage
- Possess excellent skills in documentation to be used for
Validation Plans and Results
- Interact cross-functionally with ASIC Design, Verification,
Product Firmware and Architecture teams.
- Become expert liaison between ASIC development teams and
product firmware teams.--
- Provide reference firmware as needed and develop ASIC Hardware
Driver firmware for use in shipping product firmware. REQUIRED:
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with 7+
years of experience, or MS degree in Electrical Engineering or
Computer Science with 6+ years of experience.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong technical skills in area of study
- Interest in HDD, SSD, flash, semiconductor, components,
nonvolatile memory industry
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications--
- Experienced with embedded C/C++ firmware and limited amount of
- Hands-on role must be comfortable with hardware, software, and
lab test equipment.
- Must operate in multi-geography environment to coordinate and
satisfy goals which have broad business impacts (some travel is
- Good writing and communication skills for application notes,
validation plans, status updates and presentations
- Develop, debug, and maintain embedded validation firmware for
multiple functional hardware blocks that exist in the ASIC within a
multi-processor ARM/ARC core architecture.
- Experience in or ability to learn drive data path technologies,
test software, test equipment and embedded firmware.
- Validate correct operation of ASIC hardware features through
embedded self-test firmware.
- Support ASIC bring-up, implementation, and usage of data
- Able to be effective in a role with dynamic schedules and
clearly definable individual and team goals The future. It's on
you. You & Western Digital. We've been storing the world's data for
more than 50 years. Once, it was the most important thing we could
do for data. Now we're helping the world capture, preserve, access
and transform data in a way only we can. The most game-changing
companies, consumers, professionals, and governments come to us for
the technologies and solutions they need to capture, preserve,
access, and transform their data. But we can't do it alone. Today's
exceptional data challenges require your exceptional skills. It's
You & Us. Together, we're the next big thing in data. Western
Digital-- data-centric solutions are found under the
G-Technology---, SanDisk--, Upthere---, and WD-- brands. Western
Digital is an equal opportunity employer. Western Digital does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion
(including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including
pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, breastfeeding
or related medical conditions), gender (including a person's gender
identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and
behavior, whether or not stereotypically associated with the
person's assigned sex at birth), age, national origin, sexual
orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic
partnership status), physical disability, mental disability,
medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and
family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran
status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also
prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics
listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects
of employment. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in
the "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" poster . NOTICE TO
CANDIDATES: Western Digital has received reports of scams where a
payment is requested on Western Digital's behalf as a condition for
receiving an offer of employment. Please be aware that Western
Digital and its subsidiaries will never request payment as a
condition for applying for a position or receiving an offer of
employment. Should you encounter any such requests, please report
it immediately to email@example.com .
Keywords: Western Digital Corporation, Milpitas , Principal Engineer, ASIC Development Engineer , Engineering , Milpitas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!