Staff R&D Engineer.
Company: Johnson & Johnson
Posted on: January 13, 2022
Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision, Inc a division of Johnson &
Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Staff R&D
Engineer located in Milpitas, CA.
At Johnson & Johnson Vision, we have a bold ambition: to change the
trajectory of eye health. Thats why, through our operating
companies, weve developed solutions for every stage of lifeto help
people see better, connect better and live better. We partner with
eye care professionals to provide some of the worlds leading
products and technologies to address refractive error, cataracts,
dry eye, and beyond. We are committed to using our reach and size
for good and strive to put quality eye care within reach of
everyone, everywhere. Visit us at www.jjvision.com. Follow
@JNJVision on Twitter and Johnson & Johnson Vision on LinkedIn.
The Staff Mechanical Engineer contributes to development of
innovative consumable technologies and products to solve customer
problems and satisfy unmet patient needs. Works independently to
provide mechanical engineering and design services in the R&D
engineering group. Develops concepts, designs and details for
machines, tools, fixtures, and products. Assures successful
execution of new product and process design, development, and
transfer activities. Champions functional excellence in development
and leads the implementation of the latest/best design technologies
such as simulation, and rapid prototyping.
Erroneous decisions or recommendations or failure to get results
would normally result in serious program/project delay and
considerable expenditure or resources. May work on projects
involving more than one engineering fields and involving
engineering teams from other functional areas. Leads small to
medium sized projects.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
- Performs hands-on and simulated testing for design verification
and test method developments.
- Creates and edits engineering technical reports, work
instructions and procedures for process validation related
- Supports basic engineering operations, and scientific
evaluation on new technology concepts and product development.
- Conducts functional and performance testing of products to
ensure that the product and its components meet the required
- Works with R&D, operations, marketing, regulatory and
supply chain stakeholders to design for manufacturability and cost
- Implements sophisticated design concepts and ideas into working
blueprints and drawings
- Inspects and leads all aspects of testing of prototypes, tools,
and fixtures after fabrication to ensure that they meet
- Identifies issues and communicates status to peers and
- Able to analyze data using statistical tools and derive
- Leads efforts to generate, review, and approve drawings and
design control documentation.
- Applies sound engineering principles and practices to the
design and testing of medical devices.
- Works with and provides oversight to suppliers on the design
and procurement of components, tooling and fixtures for the design,
testing, inspection or assembly of products.
- Generates prototypes, evaluates and provides positive feedback
on concepts and design modifications based on key stakeholder
- Supports design control review meetings to ensure completion of
required project goals, and coordinate activities with multi-
functional team members on action items.
- May receive technical guidance on the most unusual or complex
problems, but independently resolves and develops approaches to
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent, plus 6 or more years of directly
related experience required (Masters or PhD preferred)
- Has demonstrated Mechanical Engineering competency with full
knowledge of medical industry practices and standards.
- Possesses a strong technical knowledge and application of
concepts, practices, and procedures, and experience.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and
maintains strong working relationships with internal and external
- Reviews and writes technical reports for regulatory submission
for product submissions. Helps draft patent applications with
innovative ideas, technical market support literature, industry
presentations, and publications.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced
- Knowledge of CAD software for modeling and for reviewing and
updating drawings is essential.
- Good technical background in health care, medical devices,
pharmaceutical, or similar industries.
- Ability to travel up to 10%, international and domestic.
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical
Engineering, or related subject area.
- Experience in one or more of the following: Injection Molding,
manufacturing, R&D in development of Ophthalmic Consumables and
- Technical team leadership capability with strong
self-motivation, project management skills, and demonstrated
ability to lead a multi-functional team while optimizing resources
to deliver project results.
- Possess a successful track record of medical device product
development from concept through launch.
- Effective verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills
including relationship management.
- Six Sigma Black Belt certification is preferred.
- Experience in supporting external innovation activities by
providing technical guidance, and evaluation as required for
potential acquisition or licensing.
- Must have experience in leading projects, knowledge of
Microsoft Project is a plus
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis
United States-California-Milpitas-510 Cottonwood Dr.
Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision, Inc (6234)
Keywords: Johnson & Johnson, Milpitas , Staff R&D Engineer., Engineering , Milpitas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!