Staff Engineer, Firmware Verification Engineering
Company: Western Digital
Posted on: August 4, 2022
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and
push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers.
People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For
decades, we've been doing just that. Our technology helped people
put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth
organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive
gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars
smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind
many of the world's biggest companies and public cloud, Western
Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately?
You'll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure
behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that
captures and preserves your most precious moments? That's us,
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices
and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric
solutions are comprised of the Western Digital -, G-Technology---,
SanDisk - and WD - brands.
Today's exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It's You
& Western Digital. Together, we're the next BIG thing in data.
WD NVMe SSD products must be validated in house to assure that
products shipped will meet OEM quality requirements. We need an
experienced Firmware validation engineer to understand NVMe SSD's
system design and firmware algorithms in order to create a firmware
design verification plans and implement them in modern
- Work closely with the system architects and the firmware team
to develop design verification plans, test bench and test
- Develop an overall firmware validation strategy including
defining validation infrastructure and validation methodology
- Debug the firmware and expose design issues
- Define and design functional tests required to meet customer
- Review WD SATA/NVMe SSD validation requirements and influence
future WD product design for debug and test
- Work with customers to understand field bugs and to enhance the
- Interface with all key stakeholders to ensure product
validation meets customer expectations and needs
- In depth understanding of firmware algorithms used in any NAND
Flash based storage devices (SSD, eMMC, SD, USB Flash drives) or
other storage devices
- Knowledge in any Host protocols like as SCSI, NVMe (preferred),
eMMC, UFS, PCIe
- Experienced and familiar with firmware development, Integration
- Knowledgeable on product and quality standards and relevant
host protocols, in particular NVMe.
- Test coverage methods for real-time embedded systems,
especially storage systems and/or NAND storage
- Able to methodically root cause complex failure mechanism
- Strong programming knowledge & debugging skills in Python, C
- Soft skills, Excellent written and verbal skills, be a Team
- Able to develop key relationships
- Able to elect requirements from all stakeholders
- Be able to work in pressure for quick resolution and
- Minimum BS + 4-5 yrs. or MS + 3-4 yrs in storage related
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO
Compensation & Benefits Details
- An employee's pay position within the salary range may be based
on several factors including but not limited to (1) relevant
education; qualifications; certifications; and experience; (2)
skills, ability, knowledge of the job; (3) performance,
contribution and results; (4) geographic location; (5) shift; (6)
internal and external equity; and (7) business and organizational
- The salary range is what we believe to be the range of possible
compensation for this role at the time of this posting. We may
ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and this range is
only applicable for jobs to be performed in Colorado or remote jobs
that can be performed in Colorado. This range may be modified in
- You will also be eligible to participate in Western Digital's
Short-Term Incentive (STI) Plan and to receive equity awards under
our annual Long-Term Incentive (LTI) program, which consists of
restricted stock units (RSUs), pursuant to the terms of these
programs. RSU awards are also available to eligible new hires,
subject to Western Digital's Standard Terms and Conditions for
Restricted Stock Unit Awards.
- We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid
vacation time; paid sick leave; medical/dental/vision insurance;
life, accident and disability insurance; tax-advantaged flexible
spending and health savings accounts; employee assistance program;
other voluntary benefit programs such as supplemental life and
AD&D, legal plan, pet insurance, critical illness, accident and
hospital indemnity; tuition reimbursement; transit; the Virgin
Pulse Program; the Applause Program, employee stock purchase plan,
and the Western Digital Savings 401(k) Plan.
- Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or
compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable.
The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, benefits, or
any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a
particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless
and until paid and may be modified at the Company's sole
discretion, consistent with the law.
Keywords: Western Digital, Milpitas , Staff Engineer, Firmware Verification Engineering, Engineering , Milpitas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!