Manager, Medical Operations
Posted on: January 8, 2021
Love animals? Want to spend your day surrounded by wagging tails
and soft purrs?Humane Society Silicon Valley (HSSV), an
independent, privately funded, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization,
has been serving people and pets in Silicon Valley for over 90
years. Having facilitated more than half a million animal
adoptions, HSSV is leading the charge for animal welfare through
community education programs, creative marketing techniques and
effective homeless animal prevention strategies. HSSV is the first
organization ever to meet the model shelter standard-of-care
guidelines put forth by the Association of Shelter Veterinarians.We
take our mission seriously: To save and enhance lives - both
two-legged and four-legged! Through compassion and collaboration,
we are building a community in Silicon Valley where every pet has a
home.OverviewReporting to the Sr. Director, Operations, the
Manager, Medical Operations is a key role in maintaining the
highest level of excellence in medical processes and welfare for
shelter animals and the community. The ideal candidate will lead a
team of skilled veterinary medical support staff in a state of the
art facility with updated equipment, offering high quality spay /
neuter services to the public, and the highest standard of care to
homeless shelter animals through our in-house shelter medicine
program.The ideal candidate is passionate about customer service
and operational excellence, takes an innovative look towards
challenges and is comfortable with running day-to-day operations.
This is a highly collaborative role partnering with the Manager,
Medical Administration, Lead Veterinarian, members of various
departments within the organization to accomplish HSSV objectives,
including shelter operations management, marketing, development,
and volunteer programs.Duties and Responsibilities
- Directly manages all support staff in the medical operations
department, including supervisors, veterinary technicians,
veterinary assistants, volunteers, student interns, and
- In partnership with Human Resources department, make hiring
decisions, provide staff mentoring and coaching, write and present
performance evaluations and corrective actions.
- Plans for optimal staffing to assure maximum productivity and
- Mediates all department personnel problems, maintains employee
engagement, and structures the day to maintain a positive work
- Train, coach and direct employees, volunteers, students, and
interns to assure the same quality of animal care and customer
service are provided to all.
- Assures that department staff are properly trained for their
- Ensure all animals are handled safely and humanely, and staff
is properly trained in species-specific handling and
- In conjunction with the Senior Director, Operations, Lead
Veterinarian, and Manager, Medical Administration, develop
- Work collaboratively and effectively in a cross-functional
environment with other departments to accomplish organizational
goals and objectives.
- Manage innovative programs and services that provide high
quality veterinary care to both shelter animals and homeless or
underserved pets in the community.
- Promote sustainable departmental change management through
analytical and iterative problem-solving.
- Promote transparency in communication and information flow
across the organization and leads by example.
- Utilize the tools of education, motivation, coordination,
evaluation, and analysis to achieve excellent customer service to
both internal and external customers.
- Work with employees and other managers to update and change
processes and procedures in order to continue scaling the
functionality of the medical team
- Other job duties may be assigned as needed.Requirements
- Business degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
Certified Veterinary Practice Management credentials desired, but
- RVT licensure ideal but not required.
- Successful people management and operational business acumen in
a veterinary practice setting.
- Previous experience in the safe and humane handling of animals.
Fear-free experience is a plus.
- Previous experience working in a highly collaborative
environment with cross-functional management team.
- Forward looking with strong initiative to strive for increased
results. Effective problem-solving and decision-making
- Ability to quickly adapt and adjust to the changing needs of
the organization and community
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to a diverse
range of audiences and settings.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including holidays and
weekends.Candidate Tip: Add "apps.bamboohr.com" to your email
contact list so you make sure to receive emails from HSSV regarding
Keywords: HSSV, Milpitas , Manager, Medical Operations, Executive , Milpitas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!