Computational Life Science Research Professional 1
Company: Stanford Medicine
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Stanford University is seeking a Computational Life Science
Research Professional 1 to perform bioinformatic analysis in
defined research projects, and independently design and analyze
computational workflows. Work will be conducted in a laboratory
whose primary focus is the discovery of cellular signaling
mechanisms that serve as a basis for developing novel therapeutic
approaches for Alzheimer's disease, Huntington's disease and other
neurological disorders. The LSRP will be primarily responsible for
analyzing experimental data, and assisting in behavior testing and
pathological analysis of various mouse models of neurodegenerative
diseases. The LSRP will independently run analyses after
consultation with a supervisor and will help modify existing
pipelines and procedures, collaborating with experimenters on the
appropriate analysis of generated data. The LSRP will be
responsible for a variety of computational and statistical tasks.
The LSRP will also be responsible for maintaining detailed and
reproducible documentation and will provide technical support and
training to other laboratory personnel.
- Independently conduct analyses, maintaining detailed
documentation of code suitable for publication.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to
interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer
suggestions regarding modifications to analytical design in
collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new software and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab
stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide
general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students
on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- Prefer a degree in Bioinformatics, or Biological Sciences with
evident computing experience.
- Strong Linux system familiarity, high performance computing
(HPC) experience preferred
- Fluency in either R or python, familiarity with both as well as
- Previous experience with NGS datasets, particularly gene
expression analysis (RNAseq, sc/snRNAseq)
- Familiarity with common bioinformatics tools (plink,
bcftools/samtools, GATK, DESeq2)
- Raw genetic data quality control, annotation and analysis
- Ability to troubleshoot & develop workflows with strong
- Previous experience in genomics or neuroscience is
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion and extended time
sitting at a computer.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, .
As an organization that receives federal funding, Stanford
University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement that will apply
to all university employees, including those working remotely in
the United States and applicable subcontractors. To learn more
about COVID policies and guidelines for Stanford University Staff,
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: E
- Department URL:
- Requisition ID: 93851 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Milpitas , Computational Life Science Research Professional 1, Other , Milpitas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!